Role: Executive Director
Who is Oklahoma Children’s Theatre?
For nearly four decades Oklahoma Children’s Theatre has strived to be a leading 501c3, nonprofit organization, that promotes the education and creativity of children across the state of Oklahoma. The mission of Oklahoma Children’s Theatre is to provide extraordinary live theatre and interactive educational experiences for young audiences. We inspire young people to visualize their potential, enhance family relationships and invest in the future of our communities.
Oklahoma Children’s Theatre is located on the campus of Oklahoma City University and values a collaborative and mutually beneficial relationship with all faculty, staff, students, and administrators of the university. OCT’s local children’s programming offers a variety of classes, productions, and camps. OCT has a strong statewide presence which can partially be attributed to the Outreach and Touring programs. Oklahoma Children’s Theatre has built countless relationships with local community artists who partner with the organization. These relationships have allowed OCT to successfully operate the seasonal productions, classes, camps, and Touring and Outreach programs. Oklahoma Children’s Theatre operates with a small efficient staff that often works out of their dedicated job titles to fulfill the organization’s needs.
Oklahoma Children’s Theatre is seeking an energetic, passionate, and strategic leader to serve as the second Executive Director ever appointed in the organization’s 36-year history. Applicants for this role must have extensive business and management experience in the non-profit sector. The candidate must be a compelling storyteller with robust oral and written communication skills. OCT is seeking an Executive Director who has the vision and skillsets to lead the organization into the future. The candidate must be an inspiring individual who will explore new ideas, opportunities, and innovations while honoring the contributions and traditions of the past.
The Executive Director will be the chief spokesperson and fundraiser for the organization, publicly promoting Oklahoma Children’s Theatre, increasing recognition of the organization in the community, and driving an increase in sponsorship and donors to support OCT’s ongoing mission. The Executive Director is charged with fulfilling OCT’s mission by providing strategic leadership and financial oversight and is responsible for the execution of all financial and artistic objectives. The Executive Director will work closely with the OCT Leadership Team and Board of Directors to provide fiscal management of the budget and operational objectives. The Executive Director assumes the role of “Inspirational Leader,” who consistently fosters an atmosphere of collaboration, communication, and transparency. They continuously build positive relationships with multiple constituencies and diverse groups of people including staff, volunteers, audience, donors, and the Board of Directors.
Traits and Characteristics
- Candidate will be a transformative and strategic leader.
- Individual will have strong people skills, and be approachable, empathetic, and engaging.
- Candidate will value, inspire, and encourage collaboration. They will give their teams the ability to self-manage when necessary and allow them to make decisions.
- Successful candidates will be able to recognize the strengths of individual team members and offer support, guidance, and feedback throughout the course of that employee’s career.
- As the face of the Oklahoma Children’s Theatre, the Executive Director will have the ability to develop, nurture, and leverage authentic, meaningful relationships with local policymakers, civic leaders, and philanthropists of the arts community to achieve the goals of the organization.
- Candidate must value and respect children of all ages, backgrounds, races, and abilities.
- BA, BS, or a Master’s (preferred), or equivalent work experience in the non-profit sector
- Proven experience in fundraising and managing relationships with financial partners. Duties will include a major gifts campaign, planning fundraising events, interacting with former donors to encourage ongoing contributions, and seeking out opportunities for financial support through grants and sponsorships.
- Experience with defining and successfully executing a strategic plan.
- Must have knowledge of building budgets, managing cash flow, and overseeing all financial aspects of the operation.
- Previous experience with program production and artistic direction is strongly preferred.
- Minimum of five to seven years of progressive senior management experience.
- Proven success at managing, mentoring, and supervising a management team
- Strong and effective communication skills: public speaking, writing and oral
- Demonstrated success working with a board of directors
- A successful track record in fundraising, marketing, and related revenue-generating activities is essential
- Due to the nature of the business, nights and weekends will be required.
Compensation and Benefits
- $70,000-$100,000 based on related work experience.
- Paid time off package.
- OCT offers a benefits compensation plan, along with other voluntary supplemental insurance coverages, and a Roth 401k plan with a designated company match.
Please send a cover letter with salary requirements, a resume with a summary of demonstrable accomplishments, and any other supporting materials, to:
Attention: Chris Tucker, Chairman, Executive Search Committee, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Oklahoma Children’s Theater is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified candidates will be considered regardless of race, color, sex, age, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, physical or mental disability, or past, present, or future military service.