Position Title: Teaching Artist – Summer Camps 2021
Department: Education/Summer Camps
Supervisor: Camp Director
Classification: Part-time/ Seasonal
Oklahoma Children’s Theatre is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that provides arts experiences to young people. Our mission is to educate, entertain, and enrich the lives of young people and their families through theatre and the arts. We achieve this through a wide variety of programming including live productions for young people, touring shows, interactive workshops and in-school residencies, afterschool and weekend classes, and a diverse range of student theatrical productions. Our programs take place at our facilities as well as in classrooms, libraries, public venues, and community areas across Oklahoma.
Oklahoma Children’s Theatre is looking for teaching artists to join our 2021 Summer Camp program. Teaching Artists will be responsible for planning curriculums and instructing classes of 10-20 young people aged 5-13 in theatre, visual arts, music, film or another discipline. All of our Summer Camps are week-long programs and successful applicants will have the option to work up to 10 weeks.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Delivers quality theatre, art, or other specialty education instructions that meet or exceed expectations established by OCT. Implements a course of study for classes assigned and training methods to meet student's needs and abilities.
- Communicates with parents and staff, striving to maintain program quality.
- May direct, or accompany classes, camps, public performances, auditions and family showcases as necessary.
- Collaborates with Education Staff and Camp Director regarding the evaluation of curriculum and implementation.
- Participates and/or leads, as needed, professional development opportunities.
- Participates in marketing efforts.
- Attends all teacher meetings and staff meetings as teaching schedule allows.
- Attends and supports classes and sharing of other teaching artists when available.
- Leads by practicing good pedagogy and models the expectations set forth for all teaching artists.
- Collaborate with OCT’s production department as necessary.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Class Management
- Prioritizes and plans classroom activities. Uses time efficiently. Able to be self-directed exhibits confidence in self and inspires confidence in students and staff. Adapts to changes in the classroom environment by managing competing demands. Able to change approach or teaching methods to best fit the situation. Manages difficult or emotional student situations. Responds promptly to students’ needs. Solicits feedback from students and parents to improve instruction. Meets challenges with resourcefulness.
- Customer Service - Ensures that all external customers, whether served directly or indirectly, are very satisfied with the quality, responsiveness and cost-effectiveness of all services/programs. When problems occur, uses solutions as a basis for customer service improvement.
- Innovation & Initiative - Exhibits good judgment about which creative ideas and suggestions will work. Demonstrates ability to encourage personal and departmental creative processes and facilitates effective brainstorming.
- Leadership - Exhibits confidence in self and others; inspires and motivates others to perform well; effectively influences actions and opinions of others; inspires respect and trust; accepts feedback from others; gives appropriate recognition to others; displays passion and optimism; inspires respect and trust; mobilizes others to fulfill the vision of OCT; provides vision and inspiration to peers and subordinates.
- Oral and Written Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions; demonstrates group presentation skills; writes clearly and informatively; able to read and interpret written information. Bilingual, English/Spanish a plus.
- Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently; sets goals and objectives.
- Professionalism - Follows through on commitments. Sets and achieves challenging goals. Measures self against standard of excellence established by polices and expectations set forth by OCT. Uses time efficiently.
- Quality - Provides the highest quality programs through research and implementation of best practices and through continuous improvement and professional development. Seeks to respond to suggestions.
- Teamwork - Achieves personal and staff’s objectives by establishing and modeling effective, positive and respectful relationships. Displays open, honest communication, actively listens and encourages different ideas and opinions. Works together as a team and supports decisions that are best for the Theatre. Strives to be a person who delivers on commitments.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in relevant discipline. Experience working with young people and advanced degree a plus.
Teachers will work alongside class assistants to ensure program success. Teachers may also be assigned teen volunteers.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The employee may at times lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms and taste or smell. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.This position description is not meant to be an all-inclusive statement of every duty and responsibility that will be required of this position. Other duties may be assigned.
Will reflect both education and work experience, as well as experience with OCT. Compensation will be in line with local standards for educators as well as non-profit organizations.
To apply please email firstname.lastname@example.org for application instructions.